Keeping motivated when you’re busy isn’t something I addressed in my previous post, even though it was all about being busy and making sure you take breaks.
Knowing the difference between you needing to take a serious break from work and to go abroad, and knowing when you need to push through and keep going at a deadline is key between tackling a challenge and having something affect your mental health.
Despite battling with jobs, internships, freelancing and an MA I do love keeping busy. But I do need to self-motivate and keep my spirits up when I’m tired and have something to submit or a deadline to complete at work.
I think having a few things that keep you grounded, that give you a new sense of energy and give you a sense of motivation in your home or office where you’re working is key to keeping going when you feel like quitting your job or blogs or internship. Some people take solace in lame jokes or motivational quotes or motivational Facebook videos to keep them going. But here are a few things that help me…
17 Things That Keep Me Motivated
- Read blogs that you like. This helps me when I’m lacking in motivation and need some inspiration.
- Light your favourite candle. Scent is the strongest sense connected to memory, light a candle that makes you remember something great.
- Take a quick meditation break. Even if you’re at work this can lift the pressure and make the spotlight feel a lot less harsh on you. Headspace is a very popular app for this, but I really don’t agree with it. Simple YouTube videos do the trick for me.
- Watch an episode of your favourite TV show. Whether that’s Friends or Gossip Girl, make it lighthearted. Watching an episode of 13 Reasons Why or Black Mirror when you aren’t feeling great may make you feel worse.
- Send a text to your best friend or partner. Ask them for something to motivate you or simply ask them what they love about you.
- Go out and grab a coffee. Coffee definitely gets me through my work day and all my days at University. Grab yourself a caffeine kick or a green tea if you’re not into coffee.
- Treat yourself to some chocolate. Chocolate releases endorphins and is apparently a lot more effective on women than men. Apparently we need chocolate more than them (probably due to the amount of bullshit they heap on us). Don’t feel guilty about treats.
- Read some motivational quotes to keep you going whether they’re weekend quotes or saturday quotes to get you through the work week is entirely up to you.
- Take time away from your phone and social media. Sometimes this can be a more difficult task than we realise. But getting away from our screens and reading a good book or magazine (you should definitely read mine thebareminimummag.com to order!)
- Get some fresh air. Whenever I feel unmotivated or like I’m having a bad MH day walking my dog and getting outside does make me feel better. It certainly doesn’t cure all ills but sometimes it does help.
- Have an Epsom salt bath in the evenings to help you rewind after a long day
- Play music that chills you out, or that gives you energy
- Remind yourself of your inspirations — What is the end goal? How can what you’re doing right now benefit you?
- Remind yourself that one day, you wanted exactly what you have. You may hate your job right now, or your course, or where you live. But at one point you wanted to be there and you got it. If you want a change, you can get that too
- Declutter your workspace. Personally, I cannot work in clutter. It stresses me out and makes me feel like I have more on my plate than I actually do. Try decluttering and see if it makes you feel better
- Exercise. Not many people adore going to the gym but exercise can help give you some more energy and help you get in the right mindset for tackling a challenge
- Remember your successes. Being unmotivated and down about something usually stems from something going wrong, so try to remember what has gone right recently.
What motivates you when you’re struggling to get through the working day? What motivates you when you’re feeling down about your blog content?
? 1? 3?? 1? 0? 0? 0