Where to buy and how to buy an outfit for a formal event can be pretty daunting if you don’t go to formal events often. I’ve been to a few this year and have learned a lot about what kind of things suit long legs and a long body. Having these, kind of ‘guidelines’, really helps me when it comes to picking something for NYE this year.
Because I know long jumpsuits flatter tall women, I immediately knew that this LOTD jumpsuit was going to be my NYE outfit. But if you’re still searching for something to wear in the sales then some top tips on what type of clothing flatters what height can be a big help!
Jumpsuit and Tassel Earrings from LOTD
When heading to a special event like a NYE party or even something major like prom, there’s great things you can start looking for on your gown search so whether you are on the shorter or taller side, you’ll find something. Something safe for all sizes and shapes however are black prom gowns. A timeless classic, you can never go wrong with a black dress. If you want to see a gorgeous black prom dresses 2018 collection, there are plenty of reputable stores that offer them.
So when it comes to searching for the right dress for your height, let’s first cover the musts for short girls –
- Avoid poofy gowns as these may overpower and almost look like they swamp you.
- Stay clear of all-white which can decrease the appearance of your height.
- Remember that no matter what dress you buy, if you feel it needs an alteration for the perfect fit it’s worth the investment. If you do opt for a longer dress it will be worth getting it hemmed for the perfect fit.
- Don’t forget the heels! Whether they are small or massive, heels are a popular choice for shorter girls in a formal event.
- This may seem obvious but above all else, go for a dress you love and feel confident in! It will show if you buy something you’re not 100% on.
- Think monochromatic dresses that give the illusion of length and fluidity. Dresses with thick belts are a definitely no-go as this will cut your height. My mom always advises to go for things that are ‘lengthy’ i.e. vertical stripes/patterns rather than horizontal
- Short dresses will always look great on shorter girls plus show off those lovely legs.
- Say ‘yes’ to V-necks that elongate the body
When it comes to searching for the right dress for taller girls (my area of expertise), let’s cover the things you should keep in mind:
- Search the internet on sites like Pinterest for inspiration for formal dress styles that suit taller girls.
- If you are struggling to find the right lengths for taller gowns, there are some good sites out there to cater for that extra bit of length. For example, try scanning the tall sections in ASOS, MARGE Clothing and Model Atelier.
- Go for something custom made if you a struggling to find the right length for a taller gown. I bought a custom gown for a ball I had last June. It ended up fitting and looking absolutely amazing.
- Think about two-piece maxi gowns or even maxi dresses. They are great for taller women as they can easily be adjusted to your height leaving minimal room for alterations.
- Don’t be afraid to rock a bold print! Taller bodies can balance out prints really well so if something catches your eye, go for it.
- A formal dress with slits to show off those long legs will also add something sexy. Especially if you know you’re going to run into your ex?
- Nothing says long legs like a pants-dress or two piece with formal trousers. Don’t forget you can step outside the box during the event and this is a great way to do it.
Also, I cannot stress enough; jumpsuits, jumpsuits, jumpsuits. They are your best friend!
Hopefully, you have a few ideas about how to dress for your height when formal dress shopping. There are plenty of great looks out there for every one and ultimately it’s about finding the right one for you that feels great.
At the end of the day if you love a piece of clothing and its too long for you on the leg, buy it, you can always get it hemmed! I sometimes buy things from the petite section, even though I’m 5″10 and they still look great. After all, fashion is all about experimentation and you want something you feel amazing in.
This Black Bandeau Mesh Jumpsuit is just £10 at LOTD at the moment! They have a 75% off sale so you can bag some bargains and enter 2018 the correct way – stylishly!
What are you guys planning on wearing for NYE? I think I’m going to be wearing this jumpsuit as I absolutely love how it fits on me height wise. I’m probably going to be pairing it with a lovely pair of heels too!