More and more women are focusing on appreciating themselves and making their voice heard. From this, a new trend is emerging — it is the rise of the self-love ring. Some women are even taking it as far as marrying themselves and others are in a relationship referred to as ‘sologamy’ (rather than simply being single). Together with Angelic Diamonds*, retailers of round engagement rings, I’m having a little look at the trend and how women are showing off their independence.
How did it all begin?
The popularity and sales of self-love rings began to soar in 2016. During this year, many women headed to the jewellery store and made a commitment to themselves. It’s not known exactly what drove the trend, as women have been preaching self-appreciation for many years! But it could be down to a combination of these things:
- The rise of social media platforms like Snapchat and Instagram has encouraged women to love themselves. Although seeing filtered beach bodies on our news feed isn’t always great. There have been many women who have posted photos of their natural selves too and persuaded others to do the same. For example, there was a trend which involved ‘No Make-up Selfies’ — a photo of yourself without make-up. Many celebrities participated in this and told women to love their natural selves! The selfie culture in general pushes women to appreciate their bodies, as they post photos of themselves and receive ‘likes’ and comments from their friends and family.
- The influence of celebrities has encouraged women to love themselves too. Many famous figures have talked about their tough times growing up and how they’ve learnt to appreciate themselves. Others have encouraged magazines and photographers to not edit their photos so that women can see that their bodies are not in fact flawless.
- There has also been a rise in participants of meditation and mindfulness — taking time out of the day to be present within yourself. Research has shown that it can reduce stress, depression and anxiety and experts encourage people to take time out of their day to focus on meditation interlinks with self-love, as it focuses on taking time out of the day to concentrate on yourself.
The pinky ring
Some people are assuming the self-love rings are all about anti-male and anti-engagement, but they couldn’t be more wrong. They are meant to represent one’s commitment to oneself and a dedication that you’ll put yourself and your well being first. They are meant to be worn on your little finger — to represent a ‘pinky promise’ to yourself. Some jewellers offered specific ‘pinky’ rings but they can be bought as a smaller regular engagement ring.
Those who take time out to love themselves have said that a lot changes when you turn to self-love. You change the way that you act and this can positively affect your relationship as you no longer rely on your partner to make you happy.
Some people make it into a friendship bonding activity. Females head to the jewellers with their friends and make a pledge to both love themselves with pinky rings.
Organising a self-love ceremony
The self-love ring is one thing, but some women are taking it further as they organise a self-love wedding. The first sologamous wedding was thought to be in 1993, when an American woman called Linda Barker married herself in front of her close friends.
Unlike proper marriage, a self-wedding is not legally binding. This means that you can’t divorce yourself, claim legal fees and your marital status won’t change. Instead, it is simply a celebration, although vows can be made. It appears as though it is more women who are taking part in this than men. Possibly as a protest against the pressures that they often feel to be in a relationship.
When women were asked about their self-love ceremonies, they said:
- The ceremony was a deep act of self-acceptance, saying your commitments out loud in front of friends and family solidified them.
- It was a celebration of the commitment to the health, well-being and happiness of oneself.
It’s not only for single people though. Some women who have gone through the ceremony have partners and husbands, but this day was all about them! A company has been created on the back of these ceremonies called I Married Me. It offers wedding supplies to one-person ceremonies.
Showing love for yourself doesn’t always have to come in the form of a ring. There’s other ways to show your love for yourself. Treat yourself to some new clothes, have a spa day or just invest some time into your self-care for 2018!
P.S: I would love it if you would support my blog on Bloglovin by clicking the button above!